Monday, June 29, 2009

Happy Birthday

On June 19, Gabriel turned one. Steve's step dad came that day from Korea, along with his brother in law Carl. They stayed with us a couple days, and then my parents came down Saturday, and Steve's dad, step-mom, grandma, and my sister and her family came on Sunday for the big party. It was neat that Steve got to have all of his dads here on Father's Day. Gabriel did really well considering all the people that were in his house. Cry therapy was rougher, but that's the only place where we saw a difference.

On Friday, June 26th, Gabriel clapped for the first time on his own. He's been enjoying giving us high fives, but worked with him a bit and he figured out how to clap his hands. He also loves going in the pool. Not like he has been smiles in the pool (he does a times), but mention the word and he smiles, and when we get out there he tries to dive in.

Last week was survivable with Gabriel, and Saturday was absolutely wonderful. He looked us in the eyes, smiled and laughed. We also got a full nights sleep the night before and that night. What a blessing.

Unfortunately today was hellish. Gabriel fell asleep on my back in the carrier while we were at tennis lessons. I just kept him there when we got home, and he woke after a short nap and refused to go back to sleep or calm down. After about 1/2 hour, I finally took him out and held him. He screamed for the next hour, before and after feeding. He proceeded to scream and refused to look at me any time he was in my arms the rest of the day. The only time he wasn't screaming was his 1 hour and 15 minute nap. At one point in the afternoon he fell asleep in my arms exhausted from screaming. He refused to look me in the eye. He would squint his eyes open enough to see if I was still there, and when he saw me, he would scream harder. Feeling the love. Actually feeling a little PTSD.

Looking forward to the First Steps evaluation this week. I'm hoping they can help us with his problem with eating. We are tired of seeing throw up at the dinner table.

I wish I were a better follower of Christ. The thoughts that run through my head are not godly, but I'm trying to trust in Him, and gain my strength and peace from Him. We've had a few exchanges lately. A woman I know who spoke at our church this Sunday and has been to hell and back said that sometimes God stretches you farther than you can handle so you can learn to rely on Him. My rubber band broke. In several places.

Ok, I'll end on an odd note: we got a package in the mail from Bethany Christian Services last week. In it was a nice looking little jewelry box for Gabriel. I opened it up excited to see what was inside. It was what was left of his umbilical cord! Ew!

No comments:

Post a Comment